If you are a citizen from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you need a valid passport or ID card.

If you are travelling from Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, South Korea, the Vatican, Singapore, USA, Uruguay and Venezuela, you need a valid passport, which will enable you to stay in Spain for a maximum of 90 days.

If you are coming from any another country, you must apply for a visa at the Spanish consulate in your place of residence, according to the criteria set by the EU. A valid passport will also be required. You may need to specify the reason for your request to enter Spain. On the other hand, if necessary, Spanish authorities may require you to provide supporting documents for accommodation in Spain, confirmation of the booking of an organised trip, return or outbound ticket or an invitation from a third party. Moreover, you may be required to prove that you have enough funds to cover your stay in Spain.

More information: Spanish Ministry of Internal Affairs



Valencia has an airport with direct connections to major European cities and one-stop flights to all European airports and major airports worldwide. In the following link you can check their website and links to the companies currently operating there.

Valencia Airport


Companies operating at Valencia Airport


Valencia is the third largest city in Spain, with a population of approximately 1.5 million inhabitants in its metropolitan area. It is the capital city of an eminently tourist region with 470 kilometres of Mediterranean coast. The city offers remarkable artistic attractions, both for its buildings from different periods and for the content of its museums. Its light, its history and its culture —on which the influences of the peoples that dominated the area can be clearly appreciated— make Valencia and the Valencian autonomous region a place of remarkable artistic creation, shown through artists such as Juan de Juanes, Ribera , Sorolla, Mariscal or Santiago Calatrava.

Would you like to know more? You are welcome to visit the city’s official website where you will find information about the airport, transport, population, climate, languages and the wide range of leisure, festivals, cultural activities and cuisine that the city can offer.






There is an extensive bus network with which you can move around the city using different types of travel cards suited to your needs.




The underground and tram network allows you to move around easily and brings you closer to the whole metropolitan area of the city of Valencia.




A public bicycle rental system (Valenbisi) is also available, with many bike stations throughout the city and a very simple subscription system.






To visit other Spanish cities, in addition to flying, you can use the extensive rail network that connects almost all the national territory. You can find more information in the following link.



To ensure a safe stay in Valencia, we recommend taking the same precautions as in any other big European city: it is advisable not to carry large amounts of money, to keep an eye on personal belongings, to beware of pickpockets in places where many people get together or in public transport, not to walk alone in deserted or outlying areas, etc. In case of accident or emergency please call the emergency number 112 from any landline or mobile telephone


Check the advice from  Spanish National Police


Valencia Local Police

The European Health Insurance Card usually covers any EU citizen. This card must be issued in the country of origin before your arrival.

There are other countries that are not part of the European Union but have reached agreements on health matters with the Spanish government including Andorra, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Switzerland, Morocco, and others. Contact the Spanish Embassy in your country for more information.

If you are not interested in the service offered by the public health system or if you come from any other country, you must get private health insurance to cover you in Spain. The cost can vary according to the service.

It is very important for visitors to make sure of the conditions of their health insurance before leaving their country.

If you are an Erasmus student, you can obtain the European Health Insurance Card, which gives you access to normal medical services. If you are a student from outside the European community, you can have access to the health insurance provided by the university:





Spain is a member of the European Monetary Union and its currency is the euro (€). One euro is divided into 100 cents. There are eight different coins: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents, and 1 and 2 euros. There are seven different notes worth 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 euros. Most shops do not accept 200 or 500 euro notes.

Most hotels, restaurants and shops accept major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club). If you have any problem, please contact your bank.

For transactions, it is advisable to open a bank account in Spain (via online banking or at a physical bank). On the campuses of Universitat Politècnica de València and the Universitat de València you can find branches of the following banks: Bankia and Banco Santander.

Citizen coexistence and peace must always be respected. Everyone must refrain from acting in a way that involves abuse, arbitrariness, discrimination or physical violence or coercion of any kind.

Public and private facilities and properties, as well as the environment, must be respected, kept clean and preserved. Similarly, the rules of use and behaviour specified in transport vehicles and public buildings must be followed, and instructions from local police or other public employees must be observed.

All persons are required to properly use the city's public spaces and services, facilities, street furniture and other items located on them, and always respect the right of others to also use and enjoy them.

Useful information: anti-smoking laws and laws related to driving.




Electricity supply in Spain is AC 220 volts, 50 Hz. Sockets meet European regulations and use the round pin system. Most hotels have adaptors for different plugs. Make sure that the electrical appliances that you are going to use (computers, mobile phone chargers, shavers...) work at this voltage.





VLC/CAMPUS es la propuesta conjunta impulsada por la Universitat de València (UV), la Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV) y el Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC) para la creación en el área metropolitana de Valencia de un Campus de Excelencia Internacional.

©2013 VLC/CAMPUS. Todos los derechos reservados


Proyecto financiado por el Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte, y el Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad en el marco del Programa Campus de Excelencia Internacional.